UNIBEN Engineering Laboratory Report Writing
Table Of Interest
- 1 UNIBEN Engineering Laboratory Report Writing
- 1.1 What Does ELA Mean
- 1.2 UNIBEN Engineering Laboratory Report Writing – Pre – ELA Tips
- 1.3 UNIBEN Engineering Laboratory Report Writing – Main Report Writing
- 1.4 UNIBEN Engineering Laboratory Report Writing – Electrical ELA
- 1.5 UNIBEN Engineering Laboratory Report Writing – Production Engineering
- 1.6 RELATED UNIBEN POSTS
My name is ThankGod but My real Friends call me ThankGod too but you are free to say Owoblow thou (LOL).
Welcome to the much anticipated UNIBEN Engineering Laboratory Report Writing ultimate guide.
Furthermore, the good this article is that also 100L students can learn from it for their physics practical.
Therefore remember to SHARE this article immediately you finish reading because you CARE.
Originally, this is a guest post from ISIBOR Iyobosa Blessing one of the best Mechanical Students of All time.
He is currently in 400L in UNIBEN.
You can quickly take a quick break before reading this very interesting piece from him and like or send him a friend request on Facebook.
Just search for Blessing Isibor( Vonimag Blexn) and that’s all.
If you have ever wondered what ELA means then you are not alone.
When I was still in 100L second semester, a senior colleague came to my class and asked us what ELA was.
I remembered Osemwengie Harry saying “drawing”.
The whole class just weak once (LOL).
Don’t worry he is my class mate and one very fun guy to be with and a footballer to the core.
Did I just say that; Sorry my bad, I meant he likes football (LOL).
Very few students get an A grade in ELA as it is a practical course.
In fact the very good ones among us get it only once and sometimes if they are not careful, C will fall on them.
Nevertheless, Blessing has gotten a B once and A twice (Back to Back).
Isn’t that amazing?.
Well enough of the beating around the bush, lets see what ELA really is and in details see UNIBEN Engineering Laboratory Report Writing.
What Does ELA Mean
ELA as a course in the University of Benin stands for ENGINEERING LABORATORY.
This article contains the rudiments required to get high grades.
The course ELA 201 and ELA 202 is more of an umbrella housing three departments [Mechanical, Electrical and Production].
Although other departments like civil, computer, chemical, structural and petroluem have their own departmental ELA in 300L.
So if you are ready, lets get along with it.
UNIBEN Engineering Laboratory Report Writing – Pre – ELA Tips
- Early preparation is very important so as to avoid any carry over or absent cases.
It is advised that you register the week the ELA registrations begins.
Your serial Number and the Manuals will be issued to you during this week.
You are to come along with a NEW 60 leaves note book and a passport photograph.
- Your date and schedule of each laboratory work must be put down as a reminder as soon as the ELA timetable is released.
You are to study the timetable and ask the coordinators any question if you are in doubt.
- Try as much as possible not to miss any of your scheduled ELA date.
If you do, you are on a long thing as you will start increasing your chances of grade reduction.
- Likewise, signing of the attendance list is compulsory.
Therefore, you are to sign as instructed.
- Be punctual always at least 10 minutes before the ELA officially begins.
- Always take note of what your instructors says as questions might be asked regarding the topic.
The instructor in some cases give away some answers.
A typical example is the PRECAUTION AND OBSERVATION SECTION OF THE MECHANICAL ELA REPORT.
- Endeavor to go through the ELA topic you have before entering the LAB.
Don’t just go there unprepared.
If you do, you will find yourself inside probably a lathe machine where you will be repaired as it will tell on your grade.
UNIBEN Engineering Laboratory Report Writing – Main Report Writing
MECHANICAL ELA seems very stressful as the report is to be submitted by 4pm that same day.
That is why you have to be extra prepared.
Having said much, lets head to what you need to know about the main report writing
- Research on your topic and take note of any formula prove as this would make up the bulk of your theory section in your Mechanical ELA report.
Do not write verbatim what is given in the manual.
The space provided would not be enough.
Therefore, attach an A4 paper (1).
Make sure you avoid extraneous items.
- As you step into the Laboratory, the instructor allows 5-6 minutes for the sketch of the apparatus in your ELA note.
He/she always calls the parts of the apparatus.
Therefore, pay raft attention and label your sketched diagram almost immediately.
If you have a smartphone, quickly snap the apparatus.
Although ensure you are not caught because at times there are some Kill Joy in the lab.
UNIBEN Engineering Laboratory Report Writing- Other Points On Mechanical ELA
- Your diagram should be REALISTIC, ISOMETRIC and 3- DIMENSIONAL having the labeling on the right hand side of your paper.
It should also be titled at the top and also a BRIEF description at the bottom of the diagram should be given.
The description should mainly contain the uses of the parts as described by the instructor.
Likewise, NEAT diagrams attracts maximum marks.
- All tables should be drawn with pen.
Ensure that it has rows and columns.
- The table(s) must be titled.
All quantities must have their specified units.
- Your graph(s) must be titled, accurately, scaled and the axis labeled.
Space is created for your name, Matriculation number, Experiment code and the scale in your graph sheet.
- Common sense should tell you that you are to photocopy the graph given if you are to draw more than one.
- Your results and analysis section should contain all calculations made during the course of the report.
You might not necessarily write all.
Just pick up a few calculations.
Ensure that all figures are approximated to a significant figure.
- Section D contains very straight forward questions and you are to answer them as it relates to the conducted experiment.
- All references should be written according to the laid out example.
Follow the format given.
- All sections should be completed without wasting too much time.
Remember that you are to submit on or before 4PM that same day.
- Take note of the following codes below.
The represent the branches to which the mechanical ELA is classified into.
- SM—————————Strength of materials
- FM—————————Fluid Mechanics
- AM—————————Applied Mechanics and Design.
UNIBEN Engineering Laboratory Report Writing – Electrical ELA
Electrical to me has more stress more than any other ELA.
This is because you have more time to other things and you will naturally feel you can do it and submit before the stipulated time.
In most cases, when you do electrical ELA, you can’t do any other thing that day again until you submit the next morning.
Therefore, let us head to the Electrical ELA proper.
Time of submission:- 10:00 AM the next day.
Unlike the Mechanical department (Most organized), the Electrical department does not give an already printed worksheet.
Therefore, You are expected to use the center pages of a higher education note.
For a concise report, the maximum number of center pages to be used is 3.
- The front cover page should be typed and may be designed.
Although you can choose to just write it like that on the front of the page.
Therefore, It should contain your name, Matriculation Number, experiment code, Date and experiment title.
- The format of the report is thus;
- Title of the experiment
- Apparatus Description
- Circuit diagrams
- Precautions and observations
- Table of values/results
- Calculation and analysis
This is the typical arrangement that must be followed in any Electrical laboratory Report.
UNIBEN Engineering Laboratory Report Writing – Production Engineering
I used to wish at times why this is not the only ELA we do.
Production engineering ELA is the least stressful among the departmental ELA’s.
Maybe it was designed originally to easy the stress gotten from both Mechanical and Electrical ELA.
Usually, the first visit to your production ELA is meant for only explanation.
You may although be given an assignment.
Usually, questions will be asked on the assignment when you visit again two weeks later.
Pretty easy right?
Then you write a comprehensive report about what was discussed.
Finally, that’s the much I can take on the topic “UNIBEN Engineering Laboratory Report Writing”.
I hope it was revealing.
Anyway, if you have any questions concerning UNIBEN Engineering Laboratory Report Writing just drop it in the comment box and I will reply to you right away.
Thanks for staying with me on this.