Table Of Interest
- 1 JAMB 2020 Help | Summary Of “IN DEPENDENCE” Novel | Questions & Answers On Independence
- 1.1 JAMB 2020 Help | Summary Of “IN DEPENDENCE” Novel | Questions & Answers On Independence
- 1.2 General Summary Of The Book “In Dependence”.
- 1.3 CHAPTER BY CHAPTER SUMMARY OF IN DEPENDENCE
- 1.4 Other Resources That You May Need For The 2020/20201 Admission Process
- 1.4.1 Chapter 12
- 1.4.2 Chapter 13
- 1.4.3 Chapter 14
- 1.4.4 Chapter 15
- 1.4.5 Chapter 16
- 1.4.6 Chapter 17
- 1.4.7 Chapter 19
- 1.4.8 Chapter 20
- 1.4.9 Chapter 20
- 1.4.10 Chapter 21
- 1.4.11 Chapter 22
- 1.4.12 Chapter 23
- 1.4.13 Chapter 24
- 1.4.14 Chapter 25
- 1.4.15 Chapter 26
- 1.4.16 Chapter 27
- 1.4.17 Chapter 28
- 1.4.18 Chapter 29
- 1.4.19 Chapter 30
- 1.4.20 Chapter 31
- 1.4.21 Chapter 32
- 1.4.22 Chapter 33
- 1.4.23 Chapter 34
- 1.4.24 Chapter 35
- 1.4.25 Chapter 36
- 1.5 Other Resources That You May Need For The 2020/20201 Admission Process
If you have been finding it very difficult to understad the new JAMB novel titled Independence and have been searching for “JAMB 2020 Help | Summary Of “IN DEPENDENCE” Novel | Questions & Answers On Independence“ as well as not gotten the most relevant answers to your query, then you are in the right place.
In this article , we will give you a general over view of what the Independence novel is all about as well as give you a chapter by chapter summary of the novel whille also listing out all the characters in the novel for you.
Therefore, if you happen to be among those searching for [summary of independence pdf, download summary of independence, summary of independence chapter by chapter, jamb independence questions and answers, jamb independence summary pdf, themes in the novel in dependence, why do you think the novel was entitled in dependence, comprehensive summary of independence, JAMB 2020 Help | Summary Of “IN DEPENDENCE” Novel | Questions & Answers On Independence], then you can be rest assured that you are not the only one searching and you shall get all the information you have been searching for right here.
Without further ado, lets get to the topic “JAMB 2020 Help | Summary Of “IN DEPENDENCE” Novel | Questions & Answers On Independence” right away.
Before proceeding with the summary, lets get to see some very important characters in the novel;
SOME IMPORTANT CHARACTERS OF THE BOOK “IN DEPENDENCE
- Omotayo Oluwakayode Ajayi also known as TY.
- Inspector Adeniyi Ajayi : Tayo’s father who was once a court servant and an interpreter in the native administration before joining the police.
- Mr Jonathan Richardson: Father of Venessa.
- Mrs Elizabeth Richardson: Mother of Venessa.
- Mr Edward Maximilian Barker: The one who welcomed Omotayo prior to the letter given to Tayo by Mr Faircliff.
- Headmaster Faircliff: Tayo’s Headmaster.
- Mr Clark: Tayo’s Mathematics Teacher.
- Mr Blackburn: British empire history teacher.
- Bisi and Remi: Siblings of Tayo.
- Modupe: Tayo’s Lover before going to Oxford at age 19.
- Uncle Bolu also known as Uncle B: Tayo’s uncle who loved drinking and women. And women also loved him in return.
- Uncle Oluwakayode Ogundipe: A Big Man in Lagos, who lived in a luxurious, a senior army officer before leaving for France to study Engineering. He was able to meet Venessa.
- Helen: Uncle Kayode’s wife.
- Aunty Bayo: Former girl friend of Uncle Kayode.
- Mr Lekan Olajide from Ogbomoso on a voyage.
- Mr Ibrahim Mohammed from Kaduna on a voyage
- Mrs Isabella Barker: An attractive young Italian woman who preferred to be called “Isabella”.
- Mr Ike Nwade: A student of History.
- Mr Bolaji Ladipupo: A Law student.
- Miss Christine Arinze: A student of Modern language who later became Tayo’s girlfriend but had a misunderstanding with Tayo because he didn’t want a longtime relationship. She later on had Ike has her boyfriend. She died of drug overdose (Suicide).
- Christopher Okigbo: A poet and Omotayo’s teacher.
- Venessa Richardson”aka Moremi by Tayo to show her fighting spirit”: Tayo’s white Lady lover.
- Gita from Kenya: An English student.
- Pat: A Physicist.
- Jane: A Friend to Venessa a physicist also (whites).
- Charlie and Mehul: (whites)
- Simon: The president of west African Student.
- Francis: From Ghana who was with the idea that independence came far too early for africans
- Maynes Keynes: Venessa’s grandpa was in the colonial service Juma and Saratu? Are they cats?
- Lord Lugard: was once the governor of Hong kong before coming to Nigeria and he also became our governor in the year 1914
- Nancy Murdoch and Mr Murdoch.
- Uncle Tony: who had s*x with Jane.
- Madam Pagnole.
- Chinua Achebe: things fall apart and No longer at Ease.
- Nkrumah: The first president of Ghana and Senghor of Senegal Kenyatt.
- Tunde: the cousin of Tayo who works in the bakery.
- Yusuf Abubakar: who works in the hospital. HE believed white women were only meant for friendship but not for marriage with his genuine reasons.
- Joyce: Yusuf’s white girlfriend who said he hasn’t heard Yusuf speak Nigerian before and then Yusuf replied her: you daft one, no one speaks Nigerian.
- Mr and Mrs winter: across the road at Bradley
- Joy Williams: The black WOMAN Yusuf got married to.
- Anais Nin: The first British erotic writer.
- Nigerian coup d’etat and Biafran war.
- Salamatou: an hairstylist in Dakar, Senegal who died in a motor accident
- Jean Luc: A French who had promised to marry Salamatou but ran away after he got to know she was pregnant.
- Miriam: A nurse, whom treated Tayo’s father and got pregnant for Tayo. Got married to Tayo and gave birth to Kemi.
- Kemi: Daughter of Tayo and Miriam
- President Shagari.
- Mr Akin: A carver.
- Wole Soyinka: Okri the Booker.
- Aureol: SHIPPING COMPANY.
- Dogun Dutse Mobile station.
- Samir: From Bradford.
- Suleiman: Salamatou’s son hence Venessa’s adopted son. A Muslim he became and a drop out from Cambridge.
- Abdou: The driver who was taken Tayo to the airport before an accident occur.
- Laurent: Kemi’s boyfriend.
- Danjuma: The gardener.
- Professor John Harris: He is the man whom Kemi introduced to his father from the University.
General Summary Of The Book “In Dependence”.
Tayo Ajayi, a Nigerian, and Vanessa Richardson, an English lady, had their affair boiling when it began, however as circumstances have been meant to intervene, the connection went sore and it appeared nothing may ever carry them collectively.
The book (In dependence) has characters that behaved in like-patterns, like within the case of Tayo’s pal, Yusuf, who had dated tons of white English women.
He (Yusuf) ended up marrying a Nigerian Lady as predicted (Yusuf knew what he needed and appeared to get it).
Tayo additionally ended up the identical method in as a lot as his affair with Vanessa Richardson had been gleaming, though he had been out of the error of getting a younger lady (Miriam) pregnant.
And speaking of sample, the novel’s (In dependence) starting had opened up introducing Tayo’s affair with Christine, a Nigerian Igbo woman.
One would suppose that Manyika needed to finish Tayo’s relationship with Christine for the sake of bringing in Vanessa into Tayo’s life, however nonetheless, Tayo needed to find yourself marrying Miriam. And nonetheless the wedding failed, giving in to the acquainted sample.
Miriam in Manyika’s novel (In dependence) represented the breeds of the Nigerians that may all the time run away to reside overseas because of the collapsing picture of their dwelling nation.
Miriam went away together with her daughter leaving Tayo behind. In as a lot as she persuaded Tayo, he wouldn’t go. She didn’t like an inconveniencing life. She needed the perfect life for her daughter.
Tayo, on the opposite facet represented the crude breeds of Nigerians that felt dwelling was dwelling despite the fact that the nation was boiling in corruption. In as a lot because the failure of the nation stared firmly at his face with daggers, he selected to remain.
In direction of the late pages of the novel he needed to depart the nation underneath threatening circumstances towards his life from the ruling navy regime.
The complete novel is informed from the great days of Nigeria’s independence down into the nineties. I applaud Manyika’s ink, right here. In as a lot because the setting of this novel floated by way of England, Senegal, USA, and France, she was ready to make use of her third eye to attract out Nigeria’s journey into the more serious lanes of corruption, and hopelessness.
Religion is one other situation that Manyika (In dependence) handled. It didn’t matter to her if one was a Muslim or Christian.
Studying by way of this novel, one couldn’t inform if Tayo got here from a Muslim or Christian household however we did know he embraced extra of the Christian religion.
She didn’t level out the difficulties of inter-religious marriages within the novel (In dependence), however centred extra on the difficulties of interracial marriage.
Throughout Tayo’s life as an element time lecturer in Sans Francisco, the creator used a scene to unbolt some deeper points of racism.
She identified the racist ties between the African American and the pure African. These points she raised apply in all places even inside Nigerians.
A Yoruba would check with an Igbo as a grasping cash monger and doubtful monster, and in flip the Igbo would check with the Yoruba as a unclean, loquacious and silly character who spend all he earns on events and alcohol.
It needed to be understood that racism was one these existences that may reside for a very long time so far as a misunderstanding between folks existed.
I captured traces which are coated with humor on this novel, however, might be referred to as racial remarks. Younger black Yusuf got here clear in his dialog with Tayo. He mentioned white ladies have been for intercourse treats whereas black ladies have been for respectable relationships that would result in marriage.
He added white lady regarded so previous when she turned thirty.
The worst racist on this e-book (In dependence) is Vanessa’s father who was a one-time colonial grasp in Nigeria earlier than 1960.
He was towards Tayo marrying his daughter and had refused to just accept Vanessa’s adopted half-cast son. He appeared extra racial towards half-casts earlier within the novel (In dependence) confronting Tayo about his fears for a half-cast grandchild.
It was later understood that his hatred for the blacks was consequently of an affair his spouse had with a black man through the colonial period.
Manyika, whose image reveals she is probably half-cast, was capable of make a degree right here. She drew a distinction between being black and being a half-cast (brown). This could have been fairly a storm for her to jot down about as a result of the racial wind towards the brown folks residing in whitely dominated areas.
In distinction to a pure black nation, half-casts are seen lovely which Manyika didn’t level out. In reality within the black continent, the standard black man could really feel inferior to a half-cast.
Manyika was additionally capable of painting the polemic assault Nigerians obtain from all over the world nowadays. She didn’t carry this to print however the picture was represented, and I needed to determine it out. I can say it clouds across the ache felt every time an IELTS or TOEFL examination is required earlier than a Nigerian may research overseas. This doesn’t exclude a masters’ diploma. Does the world suppose Nigerians converse Latin or Greek or some sort of language referred to as ‘Nigerian’?
‘I said I haven’t heard you converse Nigerian,’ Joyce says.
Joyce is one of Manyika’s English characters. And I like the way in which Yusuf replies this. ‘Nobody speaks Nigerian, you daft thing,’.
A coincidence on this novel which I refuse to just accept was the scene during which Vanessa had simply come throughout one of her finest music, Hugh Maskela, a music that reminded her of Nelson Mandela and on the same day, not even up to two hours if I could rightly predict, her white husband is presenting her with ‘Long Walk to Freedom’, Nelson Mandela’s biography.
What a coincidence! I additionally don’t embrace the truth that Manyika noticed hope for Nigeria by way of the eyes of Tayo solely when Abacha died. There are nonetheless Abacha loyalists in Nigeria as we speak who will discover this offending. She ought to have saved the road in a riddle.
Vanessa did meet with Tayo on the finish of the novel, nevertheless it was laborious to foretell if in any respect a love relationship was ignited between them. Vanessa was nonetheless married, however Tayo wasn’t. Manyika maintained a non-adulterous plight between the 2 right here. The happy-ending-formula which most romance writers adapt was by some means blurring within the novel.