Oando Foundation & FashionVie Raise N43.8m For Girl Child Education
Table Of Interest
The reason for setting up educational foundations is not farfetched. It is to prepare future elementary educational professionals who are;
- Critical thinkers
- Well informed
- In possession of knowledge and skills that will enable them provide education for students
Oando foundation is not left behind. Oando foundation has raised N43.8m for girl child education alongside Fashion Vie. The mission of Oando Foundation (OF) is to create a conducive learning environment in dilapidated public primary schools in Nigeria. Of has partnered with Fashion Vie (New York) to raise funds towards the education of the Nigerian girl child. This happened on the 14th of August, 2017.
Oando Foundation was selected as the first beneficiary from Africa to receive proceeds from the dream; “Fall 2017 Benefit Fashion Show and Silent Auction”. It successfully raised N43,800,000 for the girl child education.
Despite the fact that Oando Foundation adopts a school initiative, it has steadily provided access to improved quality education Nigeria. OF majorly focuses on girls child majorly focuses on girls in the Northern region of Nigeria through the provision of;
- hygiene and sanitary facilities in schools
- Scholarships to deserving females to transit to secondary School
- Training of female teachers
- Mentorship programmes
- Partnership with international development Organizations, the foundations programmes has increased the number of young girls enrolling in its adopted schools.
Over 6.3 Million Out Of School Girls Are In Nigeria
It is worthy of note that with over 6.3 million out of school girls in the country, OF’s commitment is reinforced in the words of Angelique Kidjo;
Everyone wins when children especially girls have access to education. Furthermore, an educated girl is likely to increase her personal earning potential and prepare herself for a productive and fulfilling life. Likewise, this could reduce poverty in the whole community. Investing in girls education also helps delay early marriage and parenthood. Our booming economy economies in Africa need more;
Doctors to prosper and sustain growth
However, Fashion Vie, an annual fashion charity fashion show which runs along side New York Fashion week is inspired by the life of Chuks Collins. He is the an international fashion designer and founder of Fashion Vie. Chuks career begins in Nigeria. The event took place at the famous Angel Orensanz and hosted by Claudia Jordan an;
- TV and Radio personality
Fashion Vie utilizes the creative industry to support social justice and worldwide human right issues. They do this by gathering audiences for a contemporary experience of fashion and art while highlighting the incredible work of local, national and international non profits.
Adekanla Adegoke, the head of OF said the partnership with fashion vie comes at a critical time when Oando Foundation is scaling up it’s girl child intervention under the ”Adopt -A- School” initiative. He further said that the funds raised will directly support the educational and social needs of the girls, providing them opportunities for a better future.
The 2017 theme “Girls Child Education” is a cause close to both partners. The foundation will use proceeds from the event to further improve access to and provide quality primary education in its adopted schools. The organization plans to focus on;
- Access to Education
- Provision of portable water
- Sanitation in public primary schools
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT) education
- Safe spaces for girls
More About Oando Foundation
More notably, Oando Foundation has however successfully
- Adopted 80 public primary schools over 23 states in Nigeria
- Renovated 30 of the 80 public primary schools under the infrastructure development component
- Established 17 ICT centres
- Established 3 Early Child Care Development Education (ECCDE) centres
- Donated 5,000 books and learning materials across intervention communities
- Supported community involvement by strenghtening the capacity of over 300 school based management committee members
- Awarded scholarships to 907 pupils
- Facilitated training of 1700 teachers
- Made 60,000 students have access to improved learning environments
- Provided improved sanitary facilities through the direct intervention of Oando Foundation.
Finally, Chucks concluded by saying Fashion Vie has chosen to return to Nigeria where it all started from. He further added that since his career began in Nigeria, it was only wise to give back something worthy.
Thanks for reading. However, other articles that may interest you are below
- Edo state Bursary|the progress so far
- Nkechi Ogbolu Chidi Bags PhD scholarship at the university of Carlifornia